F1 – 2011 Drivers and Images from Launch
Formula 1 circus is about to start. As of current most teams have already launched their cars. We will be keeping track of any driver changes and car launch in this space. Check them here as we recompile all the information for your easy reference. This space will be updated until all the cars are launched. Stay tuned!
Red Bull Racing-Renault RB7
1. Sebastian Vettel
2. Mark Webber
3. Lewis Hamilton
4. Jenson Button
Scuderia Ferrari F150
5. Fernando Alonso
6. Felipe Massa
Mercedes Grand Prix W02
7. Michael Schumacher
8. Nico Rosberg
9. Nick Heidfeld (Replaces injured Robert Kubica)
10. Vitaly Petrov
11. Rubens Barrichello
12. Pastor Maldonado
Force India F1 Team-Mercedes VJM04
14. Adrian Sutil
15. Paul di Resta
16. Kamui Kobayashi
17. Sergio Perez
Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari STR6
18. Sebastien Buemi
19. Jaime Alguersuari
Team Lotus T128
20. Jarno Trulli
21. Heikki Kovalainen
22. Narain Karthikeyan
Virgin Racing-Cosworth MVR-02
24. Timo Glock
25. Jerome d’Ambrosio
Rule changes for 2011
1. New single tyre supplier – Pirelli. With new tyre supplier, a lot of uncertainties on how the tyres will actually work on last year’s developed chassis based on Bridgestone’s parameter. There is a lot of speculations that some chassis that were design to perfection on Bridgestones might have to undergo major revisions with the Pirellis.
2. Movable rear wings to improve overtaking – 2 laps into the race only then the device is allowed to be activated. Applicable when a driver is less than one second apart at pre determined location on track.
3. F-Duct is banned this year, last year McLaren’s controversial F-Duct was deemed to be against the sporting regulations
4. 107% qualifying rule. Drivers falling under 107% of the fastest time in Q1 will not be allowed to race. Last year, if this rule was to be enforced, all new teams might have suffered terribly and will not be racing. This year, it remains to be seen whether the new teams have improved.
5. KERS units will be optional for all teams. Will we see the repeat of the year 2009? where some of the teams which happen to avoid KERS were faster particularly in the beginning of the season.
6. Gearboxes must now last for five races instead of four.
7. The Double Decker Diffuser is illegal in 2011. It was said that it created 30% more downforce last year. With this gone, we might expect a slower 2011 car in comparison to 2010. But it all depends on Pirelli’s performance nevertheless.
Additional Information on 2011 F1 Season
20 Races, the longest calender in F1. Indian GP will be added and it is scheduled to be the 18th circuit.
Editorial : Mu’az Zakaria
Photo : Lotus Renault, Team Lotus, Mercedes GP, Ferrari, Sauber, Williams F1, Red Bull, Mclaren